Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndroidAggie

OT: Rap afficionachos and connoiseurs, I have a question

I was watchin' some youtube and this Straight Outta Compton movie trailer biopic comes up

So I'm all "yeah, i'll listen to some rap.  see what the fuss is about."

i listen to the original (i think it was the original) easy-e number boyz in the hood, and i hear this juicy little morsel:

Down On B's Is The Place To Give Me The Pace
He Said Ma Man J.D. Is On Freebase
The Boy J.D. Was A Friend Of Mine
'till I Caught Him In My Car Tryin To Steal The Alpine
Chased Him Down The Street To Call A Truce
The Silly Mutha+++++a Pulls Out A Deuce Deuce
Little Did He Know I Had A Loaded 12 Guage
One Sucker Dead, L.A. Times Front Page

sooooooo did easy e really kill a dude?  not like i'm all "suburban white shock!" about it - far from it.  if he did, then, well...  that sucks.  if he didn't - and here's the thing - if he didn't, then why was this song so popular?  you can't just make stuff up when you rap, can you?  won't fans get pissed you're a fake, saying you did tough and hard stuff you never did?

as a further addendum - i should note that i'm not surprised the song was popular because it was devoid of merit beyond the narrative in the lyrics.  it's got a good beat and from what i hear it was quite innovative in its time.

i just thought that if you were fake, people wouldn't like it no matter how good it was.  so if he didn't really kill the guy who tried to steal his stereo, did people know that and just accept that he was rapping about the could-be?  am i taking it too seriously?

my assumption is that rappers rap about real shiz they've done - it's what gives them street cred.  is that wrong?

the eagles most certainly did all the drugs...

I always got the vibe that once you had street cred you didn't have to rap about what you've done- you could rap about stuff you've seen or heard about. Kinda like the Eagles again- they did a ton of drugs so if they sing a song about drugs, people are going to listen whether the particular event they're singing about happened or not.

Also IIRC easy e didn't write that song?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

was it ice cube?  the lyrics pretty much say it was easy e...

i don't know jack about it, though.  i could be wrong.

That sounds right

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

as a further addendum - i should note that i'm not surprised the song was popular because it was devoid of merit beyond the narrative in the lyrics.  it's got a good beat and from what i hear it was quite innovative in its time.

i just thought that if you were fake, people wouldn't like it no matter how good it was.  so if he didn't really kill the guy who tried to steal his stereo, did people know that and just accept that he was rapping about the could-be?  am i taking it too seriously?

I feel like this is a troll session.  

Did you misstate the top? It can't be devoid of merit beyond the lyric narrative if the beat is good. 

maybe?

i realize i'm probably coming across as an asshole - judging rap as though it's some representative of black people and black culture.  like "well, just think of how you interpret white people music like the eagles.  you didn't expect them to actually go to the hotel california, did you?"

i'm trying to not say rap sucks or is lame or blah blah blah dumb black people

i'm trying to say i *thought* that rapping about stuff had to do with stuff you'd done.  i took the rappers at their word.  nate dogg and warren g really DID get into a gun fight on the street.  i thought easy e really DID kill a dude.  i thought there's now way they could be lying about that, because i thought that rap listeners would care if that was all made up or not.

maybe?

i realize i'm probably coming across as an asshole - judging rap as though it's some representative of black people and black culture.  like "well, just think of how you interpret white people music like the eagles.  you didn't expect them to actually go to the hotel california, did you?"

i'm trying to not say rap sucks or is lame or blah blah blah dumb black people

i'm trying to say i *thought* that rapping about stuff had to do with stuff you'd done.  i took the rappers at their word.  nate dogg and warren g really DID get into a gun fight on the street.  i thought easy e really DID kill a dude.  i thought there's now way they could be lying about that, because i thought that rap listeners would care if that was all made up or not.

Eh part of the problem you have here is I wasn't even born when the song was written and I'm not sure I even knew what rap was until years after easy-e had died. By the time I got into it gangsta rap had more or less run its course so I never really cared about "street cred". I mean Drake is one of the best rappers in the world and he got his start on a Canadian teen soap opera. 

Ever heard 'cube's "natural born killers"? 

Yeah, I don't think that is real. It's entertainment, like a movie.

The better question is why did snoop go to prison for getting shot in " murder was the case"?

i haven't heard of that.

as for your second question: no idea.

Eazy-E didn't write that song, it was Ice Cube, and it was originally intended to be for someone else, but they didn't want it. 

Rap, like other musical styles, doesn't always talk about things that actually happened, a lot is simply fiction or over-exaggeration. Eminem hasn't killed his ex-wife, or locked someone in the trunk of his car and drove off a cliff. He's a character, well both Slim Shady and Eminem are to a degree, they're part of the persona that he has created for himself. Some of what he's rapped about is actually true --- like the Ja Rule feud over 50 Cent signing with Shady Records/Aftermath and his daughter being mentioned by people during it. It's all a mix of reality and fantasy, and you can't take the violence, murder, and rape shit from any of them seriously. Just like Hotel California is a fictional place based off of the high life of California's elite, and Elton John isn't really a Rocket Man. 

Like anything else, there's artistic license at work.  

I think with rap / hip-hop there's more of a blurred line because of the obvious associations between rap and street-gangs.  But even some of that is hype that is probably more fiction than reality.  

I do agree there seems to be the presumption that rappers are more authentic and that their narrative is borne from some reality.  I think it's pretty hard to tell who is telling the truth and who is using artistic license.  I suppose I defer to the latter, no matter what the background of the rapper is. Mostly I think they've seen some sh-t and know people who have done some sh-t. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

Street cred doesn't necessarily mean that the songs you make are a literal account of your life. It just means that you are from and participated in that hood environment and as a result you are qualified to tell stories inspired by it, report what you have seen, and make commentary on it. Rap isn't straight reporting. It's artistry. It's a reflection of reality, not necessarily reality. 

Another element of of rap is shit-talking. Lyrical braggadicio is important in rap because it draws attention not only to lyrical ability but also has a degree of shock factor that makes the music entertaining. Only the most naive hip hop fans think that all of their favorite rappers are really super-thugs that kill everyone in sight. Especially in today's era of rap, where you have contrived, label created artists like Drake. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Best rapper I ever seen live was TJ Fredette.

Iggy azalea is way better 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.