Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Eastern Michigan Coach writes letter to future football moms.

Title is misleading. Looks typewritten to me.

I'll change my thread title 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Didn't read it but assume it says something to the effect that if your son chooses to play football at EMU, he better be tough.

'Cause his team is going to get curb stomped often.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Good article and probably more true than not.

I wholeheartedly agree.  The lessons a kid learns about himself and what he's capable of even through High School football can be a life changer. For the few who have the opportunity to play  at the college level it obviously is more like a job and the lessons more nuanced and the chance of long term injury greater, but that really affects about 2-5% at best.  I think we would be far worse off as a country without high school football.  It would essentially mean that for boys that in any given class you would have a few basketball players, wrestlers, maybe a soccer team, and a baseball team. For bigger kids 5-10 kids wrestling and few throwers in track.  

Other than track, football is the only sport you have a chance in if your parents don't get you on the comp squads and have the time and money to take you all around the country every summer.   Heaven forbid you're a late athletic bloomer either for all the other sports.   Football allows more kids of varying athletic  abilities to participate than all the other boys sports combined. 

I agree with the article as well.  My son is approaching the tackle football age and I hear a lot of parents now questioning whether they should let their kids play or not because of concussions.  I agree with the coach, and although I never played college ball I learned a lot playing in HS

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stuart Mill

My hurdle was convincing my mom that I wouldn't get a life long knee injury from it. Of course, now days I tease my mom with the "I told you so" whenever the subject comes up. But she's always quick to counter that no one has ever blown out their knee sitting on the bench. Ouch!

Nah, I played a decent amount. And I remember the helmet on helmet collisions at full speed back when it was normal. 

kat.jpg

My hurdle was convincing my mom that I wouldn't get a life long knee injury from it. Of course, now days I tease my mom with the "I told you so" whenever the subject comes up. But she's always quick to counter that no one has ever blown out their knee sitting on the bench. Ouch!

Nah, I played a decent amount. And I remember the helmet on helmet collisions at full speed back when it was normal. 

I played safety and wasn't a very big guy and I also played at a time when Chuck Cecil was in the news a lot, I believe his nickname with the Cardinals was "the heat seeking missile" so naturally as a small white guy I wanted to play just like him so I always went for the head without much regard for my own body (after all as a 16/17 year old kid you think you are invincible) this was also about 20 years ago so concussions weren't much in the news as they are now but I can remember in practice I always wanted to let the coaches know I was fearless so I would always pick fights with the LB's or OL. I however can remember getting blasted on a punt return where I called for catch and took my eyes off the defender and the ball as it was raining and the kid decided it would be worth taking the penalty for smashing me so he either didn't see me wave for catch or didn't care and lit me up helmet to helmet. I just remember I seemed fine at the time but I started throwing up the next day and the room was spinning. I didn't tell my mother and certainly not my coach but a few days later it was all fine and that was it.

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

that explains your posting style 

traitor 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.