Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roswellcoug

Branding in college football. How's your team?

Hey at least UNLV is in this article. 

But what about programs with no real tradition? How do they build a brand from scratch? That’s the challenge for Tony Sanchez at UNLV. Sanchez was hired from Las Vegas high school powerhouse Bishop Gorman in December to breathe life into a Rebels program that has gone 31-91 since 2005. “We need to rebrand ourselves,” Sanchez says. “We need to get the community to invest.” Even before his team can play games and form an on-field identity, Sanchez is trying to use that community to help attract prospects. Because while UNLV football has no brand of which to speak, Las Vegas has a powerful, readily identifiable brand. And while previous coaches—former hoops coach Jerry Tarkanian notably excluded—may have tried to minimize the Rebels’ association with the city, Sanchez embraces it. Obviously, the Rebels won’t take recruits gambling on the Strip, but they will attempt to tap into the vibe of the city as they build the program. That won’t appeal to every recruit (or every recruit’s parents), but it will appeal mightily to some. Plus, by piggybacking on a brand those recruits and their parents already know, Sanchez should have an easier time making a connection. “It’s going to be Vegas,” Sanchez says of his program. “It’s going to be energy. It’s going to be exciting. It’s going to be entertaining.”

We're doing very well for ourselves, thank you very much. Certainly more recognizable than BYU. But congrats on making it in this article. You've finally reached P5 status! :lol:

Staples was going to include Boysee in the write-up, but no G5 teams were discussed.

I hear that had he included Boysee, he would have chosen one word for the Boysee brand as it is ("blue") and one word for what the Boysee brand should be ("green")

Staples was going to include Boysee in the write-up, but no G5 teams were discussed.

I hear that had he included Boysee, he would have chosen one word for the Boysee brand as it is ("blue") and one word for what the Boysee brand should be ("green")

Our TV contract provides both colors...

Exhibit #1,482 for why getting into a P5 conference matters.

My team has been ranked in the final polls ten out of the last thirteen years and won three BCS/NY6 bowls and apparently isn't important enough to mention.

Oh well. Keep plugging away.

My team has been ranked in the final polls ten out of the last thirteen years and won three BCS/NY6 bowls and apparently isn't important enough to mention.

Not to mention is one of the most recognizable brands in the country, which is what this article is supposed to be about. 

wow I starting to BYU were never shown love as a child or never recognized for thing good things they have done... This and every other post that BYU in it is all about somebody please notice me and tell me that we are great!!! 

So here you go... You're great!!! Great job!!! Now get the phuck out and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!!!

Article brings up a great point that is missed by a lot of people when looking at TV contract values & expansion targets.

Even IF a BYU didn't have the so-called 'national' fanbase, it has a strong, well-known brand value.  Boise was a Big East target BECAUSE of that brand value, the ESPN secondary deal the MWC now has is a function of Boise's Brand value. Despite terrible season post-Derek Carr, Fresno has a certain brand-value to its label.  SDSU has one, mostly in hoops, most of the rest of the MWC needs to develop or re-develop more of a solid brand value.

I agree. It's pathetic that Boysee isn't mentioned.

I agree. It's pathetic that Boysee isn't mentioned.

Not surprising. Staples limited it to P5s & Indys.  Of course, he could have been legit with that and included Army.  They DO have a solid brand value, and he should have included them, IMO.

Kind of lame to leave them out, if BYU was in.

I don't think anyone can honestly say that our 3 FB playing service academies don't have brand value, and a brand that must be carefully cultivated.

JMHO.

Article brings up a great point that is missed by a lot of people when looking at TV contract values & expansion targets.

Even IF a BYU didn't have the so-called 'national' fanbase, it has a strong, well-known brand value.  Boise was a Big East target BECAUSE of that brand value, the ESPN secondary deal the MWC now has is a function of Boise's Brand value. Despite terrible season post-Derek Carr, Fresno has a certain brand-value to its label.  SDSU has one, mostly in hoops, most of the rest of the MWC needs to develop or re-develop more of a solid brand value.

The national media has been bamboozled by BYU. 

Why they have the perception that BYU has a national fan base must be due to BYU propaganda. Even ESPN fell for it.

What they need is someone like you, a Boysee fan ensconced in Draper, UT, to tell them how it really is (after you're done mourning your ten daughters killed in Afghanistan).

The national media has been bamboozled by BYU. 

Why they have the perception that BYU has a national fan base must be due to BYU propaganda. Even ESPN fell for it.

What they need is someone like you, a Boysee fan ensconced in Draper, UT, to tell them how it really is (after you're done mourning your ten daughters killed in Afghanistan).

The problem with it is that it's non-quantifiable.   Personally, I think BYU's "National Fanbase" means more and is more-visible in away game attendance than it is in any measurable TV ratings way.

If BYU really delivered such a huge national TV audience, like ND does, the ESPN ratings for BYU games not involving P5s would be a lot better.  However, you have to balance that with the reality that there ARE always a lot of BYU fans at any away game anywhere in the US, and they really come-out for that and it's visible, even on TV.

So I'd say BYU has a national fanbase, but it's perhaps not as TV-oriented as it is live fan support.

JMO.

The only thing I know about Draper, UT is that some family from there tried to go on one of those stupid talent shows and ride waterslides through a flaming hoop. Ridiculous, and I hope they lost, but it made for a funny vid to have my morning coffee over.

Guest #1Stunner

wow I starting to BYU were never shown love as a child or never recognized for thing good things they have done... This and every other post that BYU in it is all about somebody please notice me and tell me that we are great!!! 

So here you go... You're great!!! Great job!!! Now get the phuck out and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!!!

What BYU threads are you talking about?  

Link?

Guest #1Stunner

you are funny!

If no one cares about your school or starts any threads discussing it (Fresno), then feel free to join the BYU fans.

We are the MOST DISCUSSED school in the MWC.

I predict a few more BYU threads started by the end of today.