Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pendleton

AAC poaching the MWC

There has been  talk on the CSNbbs Conference Realignment board and the CSNbbs AAC board about the AAC poaching the top teams from the MWC.  The predictions range from a scheduling allliance with BYU  up to poaching BYU and the top teams from the MWC.

What I am wondering is do you think the MWC  might just sit on its hands and let this happen,  or be proactive and take action  to poach the top teams from the AAC.   It seems that adding the top teams from the AAC would make a pretty formidable conference.   If that happened, who would you like to see added from the AAC

Or maybe forming a new conference with the top 16 teams from both conferences.   In that event, who would you like to see included from both conferences.

A poaching isn't really financially feasible for either conference, due to the travel costs involved. Best bet for it to happen is either a FB-only arrangement w top teams of AAC or MWC, or breakaway to form a new FB only conference by the top programs of both conferences.

BYU not being in the MWC, a scheduling agreement with the AAC has no bearing on the MWC.

AAC won't poach the MWC without breaking up.itself.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

The AAC would take Boise State, San Diego State, and UNLV.

As full members, obviously.  Otherwise they won't do it because they are afraid of the alleged damage their basketball programs would suffer (a fear which is completely misguided, by the way).  But it is what it is.

So a western division of Houston, Memphis, Boise, SDSU, UNLV, Cincy and one other random team would work, I guess :shrug:

AAC has 12 members:

UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, ECU, Navy, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU & Houston

adding a scheduling agreement with BYU does not change membership, but that only leaves room for 2 more members if they want to emulate the ACC

so what 2 teams are they going to possibly poach? Are they going to make another run at Boise St. & SDSU?

I don't see it ...unless they are going to a 16 team conference before anybody else, but does that make financial sense for either the AAC or the teams being added?

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

It doesn't behoove anyone in the G5 to realign. We've already seen there isn't a big TV paycheck for either the AAC or the MWC so might as well stay regional and avoid the travel expense. Also, you can't have a conference with 12 bowl teams, you're always going to have some turds. The world needs ditch diggers too. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Doesn't the MWC make more money than the AAC? So the AAC poaching the MWC doesn't make sense.  But thanks for starting this topic and guaranteeing a higher click through rate for the page.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

They have tried to get Air Force to move there but to no avail.

​Fresno also was invited to the AAC during that whole realignment fiasco with Boise and San Diego State and also told them no.  I can't see them going after Fresno now.  Unless it's a break up or a split in a very good place, I don't see Boise going. 

Why would BYU want a scheduling alliance with the AAC?!?! 

BYU wants to schedule P5 programs as much as possible, then schedule MWC programs which makes for easy/regional travel against teams BYU has a history with............the AAC doesn't do much for BYU.

And I seriously doubt any MWC schools would follow BYU on a goose chase to form a new conference or any expanded AAC.

It would work either way, the MW could steal 6 from the AAC or the AAC could steal six from the MW.  Probably works best if the AAC takes 6 from the MW because the school footprint would better match the population distribution of the country.  If deregulation of the rules governing divisional play and CCG participation passes, then adding the top 6 MW teams to form a far west all sports division consisting of all MW teams would make some sense.  This 6 team addition would form an 18 team, 3-division nationwide AAC.  Such a conference would be a dominant force in G5 football (probably wins the access bowl slot every year).  It would arguably be a top 3 or 4 basketball conference, Plus it would carve out a very unique identity for itself as the nations only nationwide college athletic conference.  Given that national broadcasts over cable networks typically transmit the same football broadcast to every corner of the nation, a conference with a nationwide footprint (who's winner typically plays in a New Years Day bowl game) would be an interesting and valuable fit for national cable sports networks  As the national conference builds it's identity among the public---I could see teams in such a conference getting close to half what power conference schools get.  That would not be bad for a conference made entirely of G5 schools.      

The key is any addition must be for all sports and must be big enough to form a coherent geographically viable division that can make for reasonable travel.  With 6 MW teams coming as a group---they have 5 local games.  They would only have 3 cross division games---of which only 1 or 2 would be on the road.  For basketball, I'd suggest that there be a home-and-home against division opponents with 4-6 cross divisional games.   That would mean just one long 2-3 game road trip a year at most.  The non-revenue sports would likely play mostly within the division with a few crossover games for variety.  I think it would be a pretty interesting conference to compete in.        

It would work either way, the MW could steal 6 from the AAC or the AAC could steal six from the MW.  probably works best if the AAC takes 6 from the MW because the school footprint would better match the population distribution of the country.  If deregulation of the rules governing divisional play and CCG participation passes, then adding the top 6 MW teams to form a far west all sports division consisting of all MW teams would make some sense.  This 6 team addition would form an 18 team, 3-division nationwide AAC.  Such a conference would be a dominant force in G5 football (probably wins the access bowl slot every year).  It would arguably be a top 3 or 4 basketball conference, Plus it would carve out a very unique identity for itself as the nations only nationwide college athletic conference.  Given that national broadcasts over cable networks typically transmit the same football broadcast to every corner of the nation, a conference with a nationwide footprint (who's winner typically plays in a New Years Day bowl game) would be an interesting and valuable fit for national cable sports networks  As the national conference builds it's identity among the public---I could see teams in such a conference getting close to half what power conference schools get.  That would not be bad for a conference made entirely of G5 schools.         

​even if such a conference were to exist ... the TV revenue would still be about half of what the P5s make, and divided by 18 teams. That would probably result in a distribution of around $5M per school.  The AAC & MWC would probably be better off working to increase their Media contracts than to attempt such an unwieldy arrangement. It would be easier for the AAC and MWC to package their conferences as a single media deal. If by combining their conferences media deal they could get as much as $200M -- still less than what the P5s make, but it would still be 5x bigger than what the two conferences make now. (AAC & MWC make about $20M each from their current contracts) 

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to make a lateral movement to the AAC. Sort of like trading your 98 Ford Taurus for a 98 Pontiac Bonneville.