Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Offensive and Defensive unit rankings (MWC in various preseason polls)

I guess Scout.com came out with their early rankings last month, just without the dramatic countdown.

Link: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1523826.html

103. New Mexico

Biggest Positive: Expect an improved defense with a nice mix of youth and JUCO transfers ready to shine – five starters are back on the defensive front. RB Jhurell Pressley should have a huge season behind a nice line full of solid veterans.

Biggest Negative: Yeah, the defense should be experienced, but will it really be any better? Will there be a passing game? The Lobos completed just 76 passes on the season and now they need some new wide receivers to emerge.

The switch to 3-3-5 is mostly due to the overall good team speed and depth in the backfield Bob Davie has built the past 3 years. UNM should see improvement overall, but the defense is still pretty young. Look for UNM's D to stick to this basic scheme. At this point there's not much Davie has said in terms how much/many blitzes or stunts he'll throw in. I'm assuming he'll eventually implement the many tricks that come with this defensive setup. 

UNM had the 125th worst defense in the country (UNLV was last at 128) giving up 35.9 pts/g, 519 yds/g. We must see improvement if UNM wants to make a bowl. 

Offensively we'll be just as good or even better. This is an offense that mauled BSU's defense for 49pts, 505yds rushing at 10 yards a carry. Switching to a no huddle just makes this pistol option more potent. Our QB position looks to be pretty stacked with a good mix of throwers. Although, they still don't compare to Goutche's bruising running ability. Even with a deep QB position this will remain a primarily running offense so they must learn how to run and not get hit like Cole G. did. Lots of hesitation on the pitch when L. Jordan is running the option. Often looking very ugly. Teams on our schedule are going to have a hard time stopping this offense. 

Looking forward to this football season more than the basketball season. Haven't felt like this in about 10 years. lol 

roflbot.jpg

Not at hysterical at all. 

Both Wyoming and Nevada are poised to be mid-pack teams in their divisions. BSU is by far our toughest challenge away from Abq. UNM has a very good shot to win in Laramie and Reno. 

I'm not ready to make predictions on each team on our schedule yet but I'm leaning towards a split between those two road games.

As much as I hate to, I actually agree 100% with this. I like UNM this year and think they take both WYO and UNR this year.

Maybe it's my inner homer breaking free, but 31 seems a little low for a top-16 team last year who brings virtually everybody on their two deep back.

Hedrick and Ajayi are going to be big losses, but I would have thought that Boise State would have earned the benefit of the doubt that they're a team that reloads not rebuilds by now.

DLine is NOT a concern (see AF-1 for previous commentary) actually a strength....

QB wise we can only improve. Both transfers (one, SEC Offensive Freshman of the year). Thanks Quinn for your effort buuuuutttttt....

I like it when we are picked lower than 3rd, we tend to excel and my bet is we win the MGC.

Course we need to get past the "Little Sisters on the Hill" to start the season. I see a Baltimore'esq riot taking place in FresTuckie after we paste the Toothless Hoards this year.

Maybe it's my inner homer breaking free, but 31 seems a little low for a top-16 team last year who brings virtually everybody on their two deep back.

Hedrick and Ajayi are going to be big losses, but I would have thought that Boise State would have earned the benefit of the doubt that they're a team that reloads not rebuilds by now.

The Scout rankings came out in March, probably before that RB transfer from Stanford. (He'll play in '15, right?)

Regardless, 31 is too low and I expect the other projections to rank BSU much higher.

The sbnation 2015 MWC prediction has only ranked within the conference so far, and here is the (very) short version:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/3/8340187/mountain-west-football-2015-preview?_ga=1.12550909.8564362.1423946595

1. Boise State   BSU's chances of going undefeated will likely come down to two trips to Utah.
2. Air Force      Last season: "From 114th to 48th! From five spots behind Army to five spots ahead of Texas!"
3. CSU            Bobo was one of the best coordinators. In his last three seasons Dawgs ranked 6th, 8th, and 6th  in the Off. S&P+ top 40
4. Utah St        This year, the biggest changes will come in the coaching booth.
5. Nevada       "Can this offense create big plays, when it couldn't with Cody Fajardo"
6. SDSU          2015 represents (Rocky Long's) best chance yet for a 10-win breakthrough.
7. New Mexico  2015 could be the year Bob Davie reaps the rewards (of 3 years of building)
8. Fresno St     far too young and thin to do serious damage
9. Hawaii          brutal early schedule could make Chow's seat awfully hot
10. Wyoming    the offense should keep the Cowboys in some games
11. SJSU         we'll see if youth helps the Spartans to finish drives (and the season) better than they did a year ago
12. UNLV         while (bold coaching hire) might pay off down the line, nothing is going to save the Rebels this fall

DLine is NOT a concern (see AF-1 for previous commentary) actually a strength....

QB wise we can only improve. Both transfers (one, SEC Offensive Freshman of the year). Thanks Quinn for your effort buuuuutttttt....

I like it when we are picked lower than 3rd, we tend to excel and my bet is we win the MGC.

Course we need to get past the "Little Sisters on the Hill" to start the season. I see a Baltimore'esq riot taking place in FresTuckie after we paste the Toothless Hoards this year.

Similar to SJSU, are there enough SUDS fans to do the same should FS win that game...again? I mean, really, does a quarter full Q hold enough fans to stage any kind of riot?

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Revamped Wyoming lineup chases more wins, Cowboys ranked No. 106

Link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-college-football-countdown-no-106-wyoming-2015-post.html

Key points:

Strengths: Indiana transfer Cameron Coffman has earned the Wyoming starting quarterback job and has a chance to immediately jumpstart a passing offense that lagged last season. While the senior's squad lost the spring game, Coffman showed promising signs he can add more fire to the Cowboys' attack. He played in three games at Indiana in 2013 and previously played at Arizona Western Community College.

Coffman will get some help from tailbacks Shaun Wick and Brian Hill, who both helped carry the offense last season.

When coach Bohl was asked to compare the 2015 team to the 2014 squad, the coach told the Billings Gazette, “We look more confident. We look more like a program. There's more of a stamp of how we want to be. We're certainly not there yet. ... It's another step forward.”

Weaknesses: Wyoming is tied for No. 114 in the nation in fewest returning starters. Bohl recruited aggressively to try to plug some of those holes, but it may take time for his athletes to adapt to the level of play at the school and in the Mountain West.

In addition to its scoring woes, Wyoming's defense had its share of headaches last season. The Cowboys were especially weak against the run. The team ranked No. 120 nationally in pass efficiency defense (156.9) and No. 101 nationally in rushing yards allowed per game (203).

Outlook: Wyoming should be able to pick up some wins in nonconference play, but Bohl's squad will be tested in late October and early November with a tough stretch of four games against teams that made bowl appearances last season — at Boise State, at Utah State, Colorado State and at San Diego State.

The switch to 3-3-5 is mostly due to the overall good team speed and depth in the backfield Bob Davie has built the past 3 years. UNM should see improvement overall, but the defense is still pretty young. Look for UNM's D to stick to this basic scheme. At this point there's not much Davie has said in terms how much/many blitzes or stunts he'll throw in. I'm assuming he'll eventually implement the many tricks that come with this defensive setup.

UNM had the 125th worst defense in the country (UNLV was last at 128) giving up 35.9 pts/g, 519 yds/g. We must see improvement if UNM wants to make a bowl.

Offensively we'll be just as good or even better. This is an offense that mauled BSU's defense for 49pts, 505yds rushing at 10 yards a carry. Switching to a no huddle just makes this pistol option more potent. Our QB position looks to be pretty stacked with a good mix of throwers. Although, they still don't compare to Goutche's bruising running ability. Even with a deep QB position this will remain a primarily running offense so they must learn how to run and not get hit like Cole G. did. Lots of hesitation on the pitch when L. Jordan is running the option. Often looking very ugly. Teams on our schedule are going to have a hard time stopping this offense.

Looking forward to this football season more than the basketball season. Haven't felt like this in about 10 years. lol

If you could get your D to even 75th, you'd go bowling.

Revamped Wyoming lineup chases more wins, Cowboys ranked No. 106

Link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-college-football-countdown-no-106-wyoming-2015-post.html

Outlook: Wyoming should be able to pick up some wins in nonconference play, but Bohl's squad will be tested in late October and early November with a tough stretch of four games against teams that made bowl appearances last season — at Boise State, at Utah State, Colorado State and at San Diego State.

With home games against North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado State, and UNLV... the Cowboys should have a winning home record.

But the conference road schedule for Wyoming is absolutely brutal - I would guess it is the toughest in the MWC: at Boise, at AFA, at Utah St, and at SDSU.

New Mexico still chasing first bowl bid under Bob Davie, Lobos ranked No. 96

Some key points from the linked (above) article:

New Mexico returns the core of its starters from last season and boasts the depth that was absent early in Davie’s tenure.

New Mexico needs more help from the receivers unit to help balance out the Lobos’ offense.

Experience on the roster will help, but the Lobos have yet to perform at a high level against successful teams during Davie’s tenure. All the team’s wins last season came against opponents that finished with losing records.

New Mexico rallied to overcome a deficit in the second half of every win last season, but the Lobos still haven’t shown they can pull off enough wins to clinch bowl eligibility. While Davie inherited a tough rebuilding project, he’ll need to inspire his players to take a few more big steps up in their play to compete for bowl bids and a Mountain West title.

New_Mexico_C.gif

San Jose State is looking for a strong starting quarterback, Spartans ranked No. 88

LINK: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-college-football-countdown-no-88-san-jose-state-20150518-post.html

Key points:

• The team ended the 2014 season on a six-game losing streak. San Jose State had a formidable defense, but it wore down at times when the offense stranded it.
  • San Jose State lacks a clear leader at quarterback, with Joe Gray, Kenny Potter and Malik Watson all ending the spring game on equal footing. The Spartans need one leader to emerge and help steer the offense.
  • looking for other playmakers to support receiver Tyler Winston, who has been targeted by opposing defenses.
  • midseason three-game homestand against San Diego State, New Mexico and BYU could mean the difference between a postseason bid and staying home

At least so far the OS is predicting the AAC to be even weaker than the MWC:

88    San Jose State
96    New Mexico
106    Wyoming
122    Hawaii
128    UNLV

AAC

89    Houston
103    USF
105    Tulsa
108    Tulane
117    SMU
120    UConn

88    San Jose State
96    New Mexico
106    Wyoming
122    Hawaii
128    UNLV

AAC

89    Houston
103    USF
105    Tulsa
108    Tulane
117    SMU
120    UConn

​Not using those numbers....

The AAC average rank is 107.

The average MWC ranking is 108 to that point in time.

With Fresno included (six schools from each conference), the MWC average ranking drops to 103 vs 107 for the AAC.

​Not using those numbers....

The AAC average rank is 107.

The average MWC ranking is 108 to that point in time.

With Fresno included (six schools from each conference), the MWC average ranking drops to 103 vs 107 for the AAC.

Yes, using those numbers the AAC was still worse.  You can't average the the five worst teams and compare it to the average of six teams... so only the worst five AAC teams would have been averaged, and they were all five over 100 so the average would have been over 110.

88    San Jose State
96    New Mexico
106    Wyoming
122    Hawaii
128    UNLV

UNLV is too high.....

giphy.gif

So we were 72nd last year with a record of 10-3 and some pretty solid wins according to that guy? Well that's about where everyone has us again so I guess we're winning 10 games again. That's how this works right? Right?!