Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WyomingCoog

CBO: 2.3 million jobs will be lost due to Obamacare

I'm only pointing out what the article stated in that the decline would be in large due to those choosing to work less or retire early because they now can.

I was more referencing the part where you said "...the article is trying to blame ObamaCare", as if CBS had an agenda against him and wasn't painting an accurate picture.

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

The second paragraph is the most telling, imo.

"Republicans, already intent on making the controversial health care law a 2014 campaign issue, seized on the new data from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) to argue the law is hurting the economy."

Is it any surprise the OP jumped on this?

:rolleyes:

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Not getting better for the libs......

The head of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office delivered a damning assessment Wednesday of the Affordable Care Act, telling lawmakers that ObamaCare creates a "disincentive for people to work,"

Good for Obama....now he'll be know as the President that during a recession, passed a huge legislative piece that created a "disincentive for people to work". SMH

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

Yeah, it's so much better that the elderly have to continue working to afford the high cost of their medicine. 

I can picture you at your local Denny's.  "Hurry up and serve me, Grandma!  I don't give a rat's azz about your medical conditions!"

Yeah, it's so much better that the elderly have to continue working to afford the high cost of their medicine. 

I can picture you at your local Denny's.  "Hurry up and serve me, Grandma!  I don't give a rat's azz about your medical conditions!"

Boise Fan....spot on as usual. That's a great point....I hadn't realized that until ObamaCare went into effect this year, the elderly had no access to medicine or health care. Good thing this passed.....I always wondered why the elderly still worked at strip clubs and served my food at McDonald's. Too bad we had absolutely nothing in place to help elderly before ObamaCare. If there were such a program though, I'd suggest the name Medicare...has a nice ring to it don't you think. While we're pretending...let's pretend ObamaCare actually didn't make cuts to Medicare.

I love to rattle your chain, Coog.  You're such a consistent mouthpiece for right wing talking points.

I don't recall reading anywhere in the CBO report that "2.3 Million jobs will be lost due to Obamacare" as your thread title proclaims.

I did read that:

"The estimated reduction stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in businesses’ demand for labor, so it will appear almost entirely as a reduction in labor force participation and in hours worked relative to what would have occurred otherwise rather than as an increase in unemployment (that is, more workers seeking but not finding jobs) or underemployment (such as part-time workers who would prefer to work more hours per week)."

Which seems to contradict your thread title and alarmist claims.

Really, Coog.  I think the air is a little thin up there on your soap box.

I love to rattle your chain, Coog.  You're such a consistent mouthpiece for right wing talking points.

I don't recall reading anywhere in the CBO report that "2.3 Million jobs will be lost due to Obamacare" as your thread title proclaims.

I did read that:

"The estimated reduction stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in businesses’ demand for labor, so it will appear almost entirely as a reduction in labor force participation and in hours worked relative to what would have occurred otherwise rather than as an increase in unemployment (that is, more workers seeking but not finding jobs) or underemployment (such as part-time workers who would prefer to work more hours per week)."

Which seems to contradict your thread title and alarmist claims.

Really, Coog.  I think the air is a little thin up there on your soap box.

Once again.....spot on as usual. I'll be honest....I'm blown away by your intelligence a majority of the time. It's hard to have a discussion with someone of your intellect. I'm still trying to figure out how 2.3 million less people in the work force is not a reduction of 2.3 million jobs. Dam you and your superior knowledge. So if 2.3 million people quit working tomorrow....the number of jobs in the US actually goes up? Hmmmm.....you sir are a true wizard.

Well Coog, workers leaving the workforce is not the same as your alarmist claims.  I know that's hard for you to grasp.

"jobs lost" suggests companies will no longer offer them.  Like what happens when companies downsize, or cut back to save on costs and such.

Or put another way, "jobs lost" is precisely the alarmist claims the right wing empty suits have been prattling on about forever and a day.

If there is no decrease in the demand for labor, then those jobs will still be available.  The CBO report did NOT state that there would be "jobs lost".  What they stated I quoted, and I'm sorry if you don't understand it.

Perhaps you should go back to school.  Faux News is no substitution for a good education!

My local school district just reduced, thru negotiation, the classified personal with a 6 hr workday to 5.75 hr workday to escape the the $2.1 million dollar bill Obummercare will have cost. By do so the district is losing approx 10 FTE (full time equivalent) job hrs., 

So yes, no jobs were actually lost,... something was still lost...... productivity..... of which the "New American Collectivists" have no understanding.....

Dirt Sorcerer

My understanding is that the job "loss" will primarily come from people working less, not necessarily completely dropping out of the workforce. They will look to stay under the "4X poverty" level so as to maximize their subsidy. Begs the question, wouldn't this mean that there would be the equivalent of 2.3 million new job openings? Companies will have to cover at least some of the lost hours.

Younger workers would rather pay the penalty than participate in either the employer's or exchange's insurance.

I agree, a lot of younger workers may decide to pay the penalty, time will tell.

I don't see how this has anything to do with my post.

Well Coog, workers leaving the workforce is not the same as your alarmist claims.  I know that's hard for you to grasp.

"jobs lost" suggests companies will no longer offer them.  Like what happens when companies downsize, or cut back to save on costs and such.

Or put another way, "jobs lost" is precisely the alarmist claims the right wing empty suits have been prattling on about forever and a day.

If there is no decrease in the demand for labor, then those jobs will still be available.  The CBO report did NOT state that there would be "jobs lost".  What they stated I quoted, and I'm sorry if you don't understand it.

Perhaps you should go back to school.  Faux News is no substitution for a good education!

You mean like the alarmists who said O'care would be a failure financially or the alarmists who said the prez is lying to us??  The whole law will reach critical mass in a few months when the insurance companies request a bailout that the voters will not favor.  Interesting times lay ahead.  

One factor could be that now that they have their health care covered outside the work place, people can now explore doing their own thing, where previously they were tethered their employer for health benefits................not a huge number, but this opens the door fot those entrepreneurial types to take a shot.

My local school district just reduced, thru negotiation, the classified personal with a 6 hr workday to 5.75 hr workday to escape the the $2.1 million dollar bill Obummercare will have cost. By do so the district is losing approx 10 FTE (full time equivalent) job hrs., 

So yes, no jobs were actually lost,... something was still lost...... productivity..... of which the "New American Collectivists" have no understanding.....

El-you-el-zee!

Productivity has gone down, comrade!  Everyone must work!

The Germans had a similar saying, "Arbeit Macht Frei". 

Talk about collectivist!

:D

One factor could be that now that they have their health care covered outside the work place, people can now explore doing their own thing, where previously they were tethered their employer for health benefits................not a huge number, but this opens the door fot those entrepreneurial types to take a shot.

Yeah, the American people are going to buy that. I can see the Dem talking points now...."Great news everyone....people that were previously contributing to society and working a full time job, are now able to drop out of the work force, collect unemployment, receive food stamp benefits and a gov't subsidized health insurance plan because of Obamacare. The best part is, we've found out that these folks are really just great entrepreneurs and hidden gems that have wanted to start their own business, but have been held back by pesky things like working for a living. These high school dropouts will surely be the next great crop of business owners to lead fortune 500 companies"

Honestly UNLV....do you even take yourself seriously?

That's what I've been telling myself for years....If I had more free time and didn't have to have a job, I would've started my own company and made millions by now.

I agree, a lot of younger workers may decide to pay the penalty, time will tell.

I don't see how this has anything to do with my post.

By reducing their hours, it drops 'em below the mandate,  Their employer doesn't get slapped with the penalty and the requirement to obtain coverage then vests to the young employee.  They'll pay the penalty and both them and their employer win.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Obamacare at its core is just welfare and regulation.  Instead of it being paid for through taxes it is paid for by a segment of the population through greatly increased premiums and by employers

Just like it was pre ObamaCare.............premiums going up isn't an ACA thing.