Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

All Dave Rose was ever known for was storing players at Dixie St as Tarkanian's lackey until they got their grades up to be eligible at UNLV. He belongs at BYU.

No. We need a true Rebel as the head coach of UNLV. Reggie Theus---a true disciple of Tarkanian. A personality and a leader that can inspire emotion in the hearts and minds of players and fan.

Not dead-eyed Robo-Rice.

LOL

Reggie Theus is such a hot coaching commodity that he's had which high profile jobs since he was passed over for the UNLV job?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Can you elaborate some on why you think the timing is not good? Does he have a large buyout clause or something?

I wondered the same thing. UNLV is supposedly his dream job.

I'm guessing the timing may be wrong because RT made a commitment to Northridge when they hired him and he is expected to honor that commitment. And he also needs to prove those who passed on him wrong.

RT has solid credentials. It's a bit puzzling as to why Northridge was the only program willing to give him a shot.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

LOL

Reggie Theus is such a hot coaching commodity that he's had which high profile jobs since he was passed over for the UNLV job?

UNLV won't put out the money for a big name who is a hot commodity.  At least that's what they've shown the past 5 years with some of their low budget hires.  I think people are throwing RT into the mix because we might be able to get him in the price range they can afford.

I wondered the same thing. UNLV is supposedly his dream job.

I'm guessing the timing may be wrong because RT made a commitment to Northridge when they hired him and he is expected to honor that commitment. And he also needs to prove those who passed on him wrong.

RT has solid credentials. It's a bit puzzling as to why Northridge was the only program willing to give him a shot.

From what others have said about RT trying to change the culture at Northridge that speaks volumes to his character.  It may just be too intimidating for some of those other schools officials.  I like it.  Sounds like a real REBEL.

Bruce Pearl would be the anti-Rice. Rice is such a Boy Scout that he'd never lie to his boss about anything like Pearl did. OTOH, Pearl can out and out COACH.

Plus as another poster said, Pearl screams "Vegas, baby!" Dude could be another media star like Oscar Goodman.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Did RT ever get a real college degree? I recall he had some mail order degree that may not meet the necessary criteria to be HC at a Nevada school.

I don't know.  You would think that he did if they actually took the time to interview him on the last go around.

Reggie is getting the job. It is his destiny.

Should have got the job when Spoon was hired. Should have got the job when Lon was hired. Should have got the job when Rice was hired.

Next time the job is his or there will be a lawsuit.

Theus will be the next head coach at UNLV.

I'm an outsider, I don't know much, but I think the timing is wrong too.

First, UNLV might want to go a completely different direction from ex player, after the Dave Rice. I think, a Lon Kruger type (established head coach, low ceiling, but high floor).

Admins, looking at Theus's first year, aren't going to be overly impressed, he will be tough sell to idiots that don't get how difficult the situation is at Northridge. If he had three years in at Northridge, and was turning it around, completely different story.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

I don't know. You would think that he did if they actually took the time to interview him on the last go around.

I'm not even sure of the requirements. I've heard everything from a Masters is required, to a Bachelors from an accredited U to any Bachelors degree.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

LOL

Sick of this tired, irrelevant argument that means NOTHING. Forget high-profile, not even a decent school would touch Steve Fisher either until little ol' SDSU swooped him up in 2000. Look at him now. Leaving NMSU to coach the Kings was a bad career move for Theus--it hurt him. Still doesn't change the fact he was a winner at a NMSU that was a program in shambles. Rick Pitino and Tarkanain vouch for Theus's coaching ability.

If not for UNLV, who would've ever hired Dave Rice as HC? Who will ever hire him again? NO ONE. He was an assistant for 20 years with no end in sight, only reason he got the UNLV job was he was an ex-player who talked a big game and offered to take the job cheap.

Also for the rumor of Theus not having a degree: Theus completed his bachelor’s degree in business administration from California Coast University in 2002, and a bachelor’s degree in public administration from Central Michigan University.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Bruce Pearl would be the anti-Rice. Rice is such a Boy Scout that he'd never lie to his boss about anything like Pearl did. OTOH, Pearl can out and out COACH.

Plus as another poster said, Pearl screams "Vegas, baby!" Dude could be another media star like Oscar Goodman.

Not a chance.  He is still under the three year NCAA Show Clause Penalty that transfers to any school that hires him. 

I'm an outsider, I don't know much, but I think the timing is wrong too.

First, UNLV might want to go a completely different direction from ex player, after the Dave Rice. I think, a Lon Kruger type (established head coach, low ceiling, but high floor).

I'm just not sure this is an accurate description of Kruger as a coach.  I don't think he is a low ceiling guy.  He has had several teams in his coaching career that could have been National Champions with just a few more breaks.

UNLV won't put out the money for a big name who is a hot commodity.  At least that's what they've shown the past 5 years with some of their low budget hires.  I think people are throwing RT into the mix because we might be able to get him in the price range they can afford.

I get that.  I just don't see why he's what UNLV basketball needs.  As much as Dave Rice's efforts and record have been lacking, I don't see that Theus is the answer to turning this around.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Just because someone can play doesn't mean they can teach the game.

I agree.

Theus is a proven head coach at the Division I and NBA level.

Sid Green is a proven head coach at the Division I level.

Augmon is a proven assistant at the D-1 and NBA level.

You couldn't find a better recruiter than LJ for UNLV.

Rice is the best secretary in the history of D-1 basketball. Proven Secretary skills!

As evidenced by the fact that UNLV was willing to pay Rick Pitino anything to coach here? That is, before we treated his wife like a cheap cab fare.

Yeah, UNLV will never goes after hot commodity HCs. :rolleyes:

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif