Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

TKM is incompetent. There's no success under her watch, none. Now I didn't say Livengood did a good job, I said he was not great, there were some success under him with our sports. TKM is vastly incompetent in her current position and has made stupid financial decisions, Not to mention none of the main sports are vastly improving under her watch, none. It's a disaster.

At the risk of sounding sexist, I can't help but wonder if our last AD and your current AD's gender didn't play a major role in their hiring. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'm hearing the Regents have to approve Dave's termination and unless he resigns, he'll probably be coaching until the end of the season. 

Is this true?  

I feel your sources are right and it make a lot of sense. IMO the Regent approval should be little problem and let's not forget saves money in the long run in that all Rice will be owed is his base salary under the contract or $300 k per year for 3 years if fired immediately. In contrast, with out termination he will be paid the balance of his entire contract until the end of the season. That makes no sense at all. One other point 3 Regents are UNLV grads and I know one other non-UNLV grad Regent personally that is very pro sports. These are guys who pushed the purchase of the 42 acres next to the UNLV campus for $50 mill. I will be shocked if they don't approve the termination. 

15 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

I feel your sources are right and it make a lot of sense. IMO the Regent approval should be little problem and let's not forget saves money in the long run in that all Rice will be owed is his base salary under the contract or $300 k per year for 3 years if fired immediately. In contrast, with out termination he will be paid the balance of his entire contract until the end of the season. That makes no sense at all. One other point 3 Regents are UNLV grads and I know one other non-UNLV grad Regent personally that is very pro sports. These are guys who pushed the purchase of the 42 acres next to the UNLV campus for $50 mill. I will be shocked if they don't approve the termination. 

Do you think there will be an "emergency meeting" or do they wait to address it at the next scheduled meeting? 

It's not like Dave is being fired after being found soliciting hookers and weed.  I'm wondering how big of a deal this is for the BOR and if they feel this is a matter of urgency?

And what happens if the Rebs run the Lobos out of the gym?  They have the talent to do it and are overdue to have a good game.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

17 hours ago, RebelTexan said:

No I would make a deal to take a little less on the buy out to save face for the university that I love and resign.  He was given more opportunity than many others.  It's time to give a little back to the school and administrators by going out quietly with as little drama as possibe.  It's the honorable thing to do at this point.

Some day when you are older than I would guess, 25 and have a family the realities of the real world will set in. Nothing about the future is certain except that a family is depending upon him to provide for their future. You expectations of his future job opportunities don't provide food a roof over a head or pay for educations for his kids or his and his wife's retirements.

You can't be this naïve or maybe you just can be?  I've read some of your recent posts.

This isn't about your butthurt message board bravado it's about the realities of life. 

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

TKM is incompetent. There's no success under her watch, none. Now I didn't say Livengood did a good job, I said he was not great, there were some success under him with our sports. TKM is vastly incompetent in her current position and has made stupid financial decisions, Not to mention none of the main sports are vastly improving under her watch, none. It's a disaster.

I would agree with you.  UNLV needs to hire an AD that will work closely with the president and regents and figure out a vision for a future that will develop both their academics and their athletics. The medical school is a good start for the academics and UNLV needs to continue the momentum in that area and carry that over to athletics.  I feel like the Sanchez hire was good for FB so far.  Their next basketball hire needs to be a home run.  It is a crucial time for UNLV athletics and the university as a whole.  UNLV has a lot of potential, they just need someone with the vision and leadership to execute it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CHAOS said:

I have been reading this message board since 2008. I just registered, I am CHAOS!!! I have seen CHAOS at UNLV for so long, born and raised here in Las Vegas, I have been a fan since 1969, I was 7 years old when I went to my first UNLV game against Puget Sound at the rotunda. Enough of the background trash. I read what the UNLV posters write and it is funny as heck. The poster REBEL18 who started this thread was correct from the beinning and is probably the most insightful of all the posters from UNLV, HE WAS RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING. I see he has talked about Reggie Theus and supported hiring Reggie, he was right, as was Tarkanian, by now UNLV would have been a year in year out NCAA Tournament team. That ship has sailed now! Here is the deal, UNLV is a disgrace!! This Administration is one of the worst in the country. They hire cheap unqualified employees/Administrators and coaches, you get what you pay for! What UNV paid for was what they have now! MELTDOWN CITY. 

RICE was a scrub as a player, he is a scrub as a coach. Reggie was a Superstar at UNLV and a good NBA player, Reggie took two teams to the tournament, NMSU was horrible before he arrived, he flipped things around quickly and went to the NCAA Tournament, If anyone who talks trash about him ever watched him coach a game at NMSU you would know he was fully engaged and passionate. So shut your trap about Theus. By the way he thumped CSUF last night, with a lower level team, Who did CSUF beat this season that plays in the MWC? Look it up, Rice did not beat this team at home with all his 4 and 5 star recruits. ENOUGH SAID!!!

So many UNLV fans on this board were RICE Supporters and are now realizing REBEL 18 was right all along. Your boy RICE is not a coach and has no leadership skills at all. He needs to be fired right now. An assistant will do a better job as they will want to prove themselves. UNLV does not have a chance unless they fire DAVE RICE and hope one of the assistance can INSPIRE and MOTIVATE this talented team. After all Rice uses the word HOPE quite often, just the use of that word shows he does not have one ounce of leadership in him. HOPE is not a strategy, but it is the best strategy when you are lost. 

I am tired of watching this team and the university in a town I was born in get punked by the MWC teams and their fans. Most of the posts from the other MWC team fans are correct, yet many contnue to defend our team and this university. Being a fan of the UNLV Runnin' Rebels has become frustrating. We watch this team implode and continue to degress every season under Rice and wait for the next season to just suffer the same thing. Past performance after 4 years does dictate what the future holds.

I have posted a few times on the Rebel-Net Tarkanian Court only to get some responses from delusional people. I posted that UNLV will be 9-7, 0-3 after Saturday, this was right after we choked vs Fresno State, I also posted that UNLV is toast after the first Conference game and got some sarcasm from some knucklehead who said "after one game you threw in the towel for the season" and stated that I wasn't a fan of UNLV. What a moron he must be and a person who is chomping on crow today. I also stated maybe we should revisit this in March when the proof was in his face. Here we are 0-3 in conference. I don't think we need to wait until March. Obviously that paper jughead doesn't have life experiences and understand anything about leadership or does not spend time doing any analysis on the last 4 years plus. I am a huge UNLV fan and always will be. 

For those who say your not a fan of your team because you scrutinize your team, they are in a fantasy world. Passion from a fan, player or coach how you show you care. I would never attack a player personally as some do on the Rebel message board, That would be going overboard and exceeds passion for your team. 

UNLV is not that good, they are overrated and have underachieving players all due to the lack of leadership from the Head Coach and a lack of fundamentals being taught. 

This is what happens when R18, RR and Lacasey have a baby.

An IP address search would be like a DNA test I think. 

22 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Do you think there will be an "emergency meeting" or do they wait to address it at the next scheduled meeting? 

It's not like Dave is being fired after being found soliciting hookers and weed.  I'm wondering how big of a deal this is for the BOR and if they feel this is a matter of urgency?

And what happens if the Rebs run the Lobos out of the gym?  They have the talent to do it and are overdue to have a good game.

An emergency meeting is possible. But I am not sure what would be the protocol with personnel issues. It could also work in a manner in which all the AD has to do is to make sure she has the votes with out violation of the open meeting laws, then pull the trigger and then have a Regent place it on the agenda for the next meeting for approval of the buy out. However, I am not 100% on this. 

The bottom line as I see it that UNLV has to stop the bleeding NOW and move on from the Dave Rice era. Maybe, simple leadership change will pump some life in the program and they can work towards salvaging the season and getting ready for the MWCT. 

• Like 1

Just now, PrimeReb said:

The bottom line as I see it that UNLV has to stop the bleeding NOW and move on from the Dave Rice era. Maybe, simple leadership change will pump some life in the program and they can work towards salvaging the season and getting ready for the MWCT. 

although i agree with you 100% i just don't see it happening, especially IF the rebs beat unm on tuesday (pressure cullen neal all night and the game is won, lol). if they are going to pull the trigger i think it would be by tomorrow or not at all until the end of the year.

If there is no scandal, or major contractual or NCAA violations I don't see UNLV making a move before the season ends.

In that light let's look at the reality, the wheels have only really been coming off over the last 5 games and despite the recent lousy showing UNLV & Rice still have a 9-7 record (7-7 vs D-1) and two wins over ranked teams & there's still a lot of MWC play left which means Rice could actually, though not likely, get UNLV into the upper half of the MWC by seasons end.

Still if the NCAA was the minimal goal for Rice to meet, then the only way he meets that goal is to win the MWCT...............so regardless if there is some improvement the rest of the way, there's plenty of reason to remove Rice & staff based on the overall season.

I just don't see TKM or UNLV pulling the trigger until after the season, especially where there's no contractual violation that would open the door for immediate termination.

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If there is no scandal, or major contractual or NCAA violations I don't see UNLV making a move before the season ends.

In that light let's look at the reality, the wheels have only really been coming off over the last 5 games and despite the recent lousy showing UNLV & Rice still have a 9-7 record (7-7 vs D-1) and two wins over ranked teams & there's still a lot of MWC play left which means Rice could actually, though not likely, get UNLV into the upper half of the MWC by seasons end.

Still if the NCAA was the minimal goal for Rice to meet, then the only way he meets that goal is to win the MWCT...............so regardless if there is some improvement the rest of the way, there's plenty of reason to remove Rice & staff based on the overall season.

I just don't see TKM or UNLV pulling the trigger until after the season, especially where there's no contractual violation that would open the door for immediate termination.

i agree, i just don't see it happening. but 1 win (south dakota) in the last 4 weeks sucks...

8 hours ago, PrimeReb said:

You are absolutely correct in that there is no reason to delay the firing of Rice. In fact, maybe the season can be salvaged some what with out him on the bench. 

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Mediocre coaching, with our talent level, would be good enough for us to make the NCAA Tournament.

I know that, but we will never go back to National contender.

4 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i agree, i just don't see it happening. but 1 win (south dakota) in the last 4 weeks sucks...

That's the thing- this is all coming up because of the last 4 weeks & 6 games - For whatever reason this whole team has looked god awful since the Arizona St game and the 3 MWC games - The loss at Arizona wasn't all that terrible.

And with UNLV only 3 games into an 18 game MWC schedule there's still time for the team to right the ship.

This is why TKM or UNLV won't pull the plug on Rice in the coming days............though it's obvious now that Rice is on notice and he has to show something over the rest of the MWC schedule & MWCT.........if it doesn't happen, then it's much easier to make the move at the end of the season...............worst case for TKM & UNLV would be for UNLV to go on a winning streak and finish in the top 3 of the MWC & make a MWCT run to the championship game.........If Rice can pull that off, it makes the decision more difficult, but the lack of an NCAA appearance could be the one thing that causes the move to be made.

Save Dave Rice. He is not the Problem I hope people whould really take a good look at what the Problem Really is We have to get back to get back to being family. But who am I. Coach Tark taught me all of his Wisdom - Sam Smith

Then there is always this type of mentality that will hold things up. Just one more reason to move on from the past and not hire an alum.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, REBEL BEAR said:

I know that, but we will never go back to National contender.

Never?

It's not overly likely, but the odds aren't zero.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

That's the thing- this is all coming up because of the last 4 weeks & 6 games - For whatever reason this whole team has looked god awful since the Arizona St game and the 3 MWC games - The loss at Arizona wasn't all that terrible.

And with UNLV only 3 games into an 18 game MWC schedule there's still time for the team to right the ship.

This is why TKM or UNLV won't pull the plug on Rice in the coming days............though it's obvious now that Rice is on notice and he has to show something over the rest of the MWC schedule & MWCT.........if it doesn't happen, then it's much easier to make the move at the end of the season...............worst case for TKM & UNLV would be for UNLV to go on a winning streak and finish in the top 3 of the MWC & make a MWCT run to the championship game.........If Rice can pull that off, it makes the decision more difficult, but the lack of an NCAA appearance could be the one thing that causes the move to be made.

IIRC he was told he had to win the mw, and win a game or two in the ncaa tournament? or something like that. but for the moment he is our coach, and probably will be through this season, whether we like it or not.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

IIRC he was told he had to win the mw, and win a game or two in the ncaa tournament? or something like that. but for the moment he is our coach, and probably will be through this season, whether we like it or not.

yeah, not sure if it was just get to the NCAAT or having to win a game...........and be in the hunt for the MWC regular season title..............and all of those goals are still attainable even as miserable as the last few weeks have looked.

This is why TKM & UNLV won't make a move this week.......................now if the woes continue and UNLV is sitting 2-6 at the halfway point, then TKM might tell Dave he's done at the end of the season but he still finishes the season

• Like 1

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

yeah, not sure if it was just get to the NCAAT or having to win a game...........and be in the hunt for the MWC regular season title..............and all of those goals are still attainable even as miserable as the last few weeks have looked.

This is why TKM & UNLV won't make a move this week.......................now if the woes continue and UNLV is sitting 2-6 at the halfway point, then TKM might tell Dave he's done at the end of the season but he still finishes the season

that would be a disaster, imo. worst case scenario.