Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WyomingCoog

Kustra video on move to MWC......

Forget the word body bag. Lets say BSU starts the season vs Oregon St. in Dallas on ESPN on Sat. they also have a game at Florida St. on ESPN sat.

The MWC owes them 1 mill for those 2 games, right? Also how much does ESPN pay BSU to play those 2 games? It goes into the MWC pot, right? Does espn still pay BSU for a game at Fla St. on espn or does Fla St. pay BSU and espn just pays Fla St.?

The MWC is not going to pay bonuses for games it does not own the rights to. So if Boise or somebody else plays at an opponent or on a neutral field then there are no bonuses to be paid.

If BSU is at home vs Oregon State then the MWC owns those media rights and if it is picked up on ESPN then yes it would be eligible for a bonus.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

After watching that video Boise St. can make a lot of extra coin. So let's say they have 6 nationally televised games. 3 on Saturday and 3 on Thursday or whatever. They get the 2.4 million dollar bonus plus the conference revenue AND they still are able to sell all 6 homes games as a package to espn or cbs or whoever. So maybe Espn pays them 3 million for those on TOP of the bonus and conference distibution.

This money goes to the MWC, not Boise.

Forget the word body bag. Lets say BSU starts the season vs Oregon St. in Dallas on ESPN on Sat. they also have a game at Florida St. on ESPN sat.

The MWC owes them 1 mill for those 2 games, right? Also how much does ESPN pay BSU to play those 2 games? It goes into the MWC pot, right? Does espn still pay BSU for a game at Fla St. on espn or does Fla St. pay BSU and espn just pays Fla St.?

(1) depends on whether the MWC or BSU interpretation hold up.

(2a) don't know it's game specific for neutral sites. (2b) espn would pay Nothing for BSU to go to FSU.

(3) No.

(4) ESPN pays the ACC. The ACC pays FSU. FSU pays BSU for the bodybag game.

2005, 2009, 2010 & 2011 MWC Football Champions

After watching that video Boise St. can make a lot of extra coin. So let's say they have 6 nationally televised games. 3 on Saturday and 3 on Thursday or whatever. They get the 2.4 million dollar bonus plus the conference revenue AND they still are able to sell all 6 homes games as a package to espn or cbs or whoever. So maybe Espn pays them 3 million for those on TOP of the bonus and conference distibution.

If espn pays 3 mill for 6 BSU home games the 3 mill goes in the MWC pot. If 4 are on Thurs and 2 on sat. 2.2 of that 3 mill goes right to BSU.

photo W_zps142bc5aa.png

This money goes to the MWC, not Boise.

Okay thats right. My bad. Still they will get a chunk of it. I wonder how much ESPN or whoever will pay for those 6 Boise St. games? Anyone think it would be 3 million or 5 million or will it be lower?

If espn pays 3 mill for 6 BSU home games the 3 mill goes in the MWC pot. If 4 are on Thurs and 2 on sat. 2.2 of that 3 mill goes right to BSU.

Okay, are you sure? It sounded to me like the bonus was paid on top of that and separate from the Boise St. home game package tv deal.

Okay thats right. My bad. Still they will get a chunk of it. I wonder how much ESPN or whoever will pay for those 6 Boise St. games? Anyone think it would be 3 million or 5 million or will it be lower?

Doesn't BYU get 4 Mill for their 6 home games?

photo W_zps142bc5aa.png

What's great about this for the entire conference is the potential profit. For instance, each school made 800k last year in TV revenue. You get one nationally televised Saturday game and you've almost got that right there with the 500k bonus. UNLV playing on ESPN last year would've almost doubled their TV revenue. How is this a bad thing?

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

Okay, are you sure? It sounded to me like the bonus was paid on top of that and separate from the Boise St. home game package tv deal.

they said on the clip all of the BSU games sold are put back in the MWC pot. Any of those games on say espn get the bonus paid to bsu before dividing the rest of the pot evenly among all the MWC members. So 300K plus 1/11th of that game$$

photo W_zps142bc5aa.png

they will get it ironed out

I hope so. It was clear as day that all three interpret the bonus agreement as paying for any national appearance....noting bonus opportunities at BYU at UWash. Not too worried about it, but it seems like a pretty basic discussion point that should have left no ambiguity.

Random guess, $4-5M. It's a safe bet UT-Maryin type games won't be picked up, Washington type games have a shot at Saturday, and the rest are ESPN weekday games or ESPNU weekends.

Reporter: Was there any discussion to compensate Basketball teams that produce as well?

Kustra: No. That never came up no.

You think that UNLV and perhaps UNM aren't going to get tired of having to share equally where they excel, but not in football?

also, its almost comical how giddy the BSU admins were in describing the bonus system. Especially considering the MWC doesn't think it works the way they think it does.

Random guess, $4-5M. It's a safe bet UT-Maryin type games won't be picked up, Washington type games have a shot at Saturday, and the rest are ESPN weekday games or ESPNU weekends.

So if Boise is pulling 4-5 million in our system.......why would BYU not come aboard with the same deal? Don't they make 4 million per year right now? Plus they wouldn't have to settle for the Poinsettia Bowl every year....they'd be competing for a spot in the Fiesta Bowl every year. Seems like a no-brainer.

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

What's great about this for the entire conference is the potential profit. For instance, each school made 800k last year in TV revenue. You get one nationally televised Saturday game and you've almost got that right there with the 500k bonus. UNLV playing on ESPN last year would've almost doubled their TV revenue. How is this a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing at all. As much as some don't want to admit it on this board Boise just helped out every member of the conference get a little bit more money atleast. Even if Boise makes more everyone will still benefit. Also if your the team that makes it to a BCS game then you get rewarded not just Boise St. Even New Mexico, UNLV or Wyoming will get paid good money for making it to a BCS game.

Have to give Boise St. credit on this one along with the commisioner.

Nothing as long as we don't have to pay BSU a bonus for playing at BYU or at Washington, just because it was on espn. That's 1 mill the MWC would have to pay where it made $0 on.

photo W_zps142bc5aa.png

It's a zero sum game. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Really it's going to depend on the income gap between highest paid & lowest paid. If that's too large then the conference will go turd-up.

So if Boise is pulling 4-5 million in our system.......why would BYU not come aboard with the same deal? Don't they make 4 million per year right now?

Because BYU gets to keep all 4 million maybe and they don't have to put it into the conference pot? I don't know but just a guess. Of course they would have better access to the BCS bowl game.