Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WyomingCoog

Kustra video on move to MWC......

Sorry if posted before, but I just saw this. Lots of insight on why they made the decision and the many factors involved.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2013/01/02/bmurphy/mountain_west_pay_3_million_boise_state_exit_fees#comment-436903

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

This actually cleared up a lot of things for me.....

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

Says going independent was never an option

Says the inability to create a western division was due to a lack of interest from teams in the West.....

So say they get 6 abc/espn games w/ 2 on Sat. that's 2.2 mill in bonuses. Not counting the regular conf payout. My question is, how much is each of the 4 week night games worth, and how much are 2 sat games worth? In regards to say a road game at Michigan St. does Boise's money conf from just MSU like say a bodybag game would or does espn pay them as well as msu or instead of msu.

photo W_zps142bc5aa.png

According to the agreement the bonuses are paid out from conference media revenue before the distrubition. So if there's 20 mil in conference media revenue and 8 mil in bonsues to pay out that leaves 12 mil to be divided between the members.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

According to the agreement the bonuses are paid out from conference media revenue before the distrubition. So if there's 20 mil in conference media revenue and 8 mil in bonsues to pay out that leaves 12 mil to be divided between the members.

Say espn pays BSU 1 mill to play Georgia in the Georgia Dome, the 1 mill goes in the pot and 500K gets paid back to BSU alone. So if BSU generates say 5 mill extra in national tv games and we only pay out 2.2 mill in bonuses, its a net gain for the league.

photo W_zps142bc5aa.png

are you sure? what about all the bankrupt talk?

and the members of the MWC are not pissed about this?

Say espn pays BSU 1 mill to play Georgia in the Georgia Dome, the 1 mill goes in the pot and 500K gets paid back to BSU alone. So if BSU generates say 5 mill extra in national tv games and we only pay out 2.2 mill in bonuses, its a net gain for the league.

No. The deal does not include non-conference games the MWC does not own the media rights to. If you play a "body bag" game then the money is yours.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

are you sure? what about all the bankrupt talk?

Yes I'm sure. The deal signed by BSU says that bonuses are given priority over conference media revenue distribution.

Says the inability to create a western division was due to a lack of interest from teams in the West.....

shh they think they can still get MWC members

and the members of the MWC are not pissed about this?

They all voted for it.

ok weird, I didn't understand it that way, but I hate legaleeze.

I'm an accountant and spend my days reading the internal revenue code.... :crying: so I'm used to legaleeze.

It's pretty clear that the MWC and Boise State are not on the same page when it comes to which games qualify for the bonus. Boise thinks they are getting a bonus for playing at BYU and Washington. How in the world can the MWC pay a bonus when we aren't generating any revenue from those games? Stupid.

No. The deal does not include non-conference games the MWC does not own the media rights to. If you play a "body bag" game then the money is yours.

Forget the word body bag. Lets say BSU starts the season vs Oregon St. in Dallas on ESPN on Sat. they also have a game at Florida St. on ESPN sat.

The MWC owes them 1 mill for those 2 games, right? Also how much does ESPN pay BSU to play those 2 games? It goes into the MWC pot, right? Does espn still pay BSU for a game at Fla St. on espn or does Fla St. pay BSU and espn just pays Fla St.?

photo W_zps142bc5aa.png

After watching that video Boise St. can make a lot of extra coin. So let's say they have 6 nationally televised games. 3 on Saturday and 3 on Thursday or whatever. They get the 2.4 million dollar bonus plus the conference revenue AND they still are able to sell all 6 homes games as a package to espn or cbs or whoever. So maybe Espn pays them 3 million for those on TOP of the bonus and conference distibution.

It's pretty clear that the MWC and Boise State are not on the same page when it comes to which games qualify for the bonus. Boise thinks they are getting a bonus for playing at BYU and Washington. How in the world can the MWC pay a bonus when we aren't generating any revenue from those games? Stupid.

they will get it ironed out

After watching that video Boise St. can make a lot of extra coin. So let's say they have 6 nationally televised games. 3 on Saturday and 3 on Thursday or whatever. They get the 2.4 million dollar bonus plus the conference revenue AND they still are able to sell all 6 homes games as a package to espn or cbs or whoever. So maybe Espn pays them 3 million for those on TOP of the bonus and conference distibution.

maybe for a neutral site like the Oregon State game