Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpanaBaller

Future of the MWC

Adding a non-football school ONLY makes sense if that school can make the conference revenue via the non-revenue sports. Obviously the WAC has decided to add Seattle, Denver, and UT-Arlington out of desperation since those schools not only don't support football but have no non-revenue success to speak of either than can provide much needed revenue for the conference

Football drives the gravy train. But the football team has to be appealing also. Let's see if Houston or UTEP can step up their game in CUSA to be attractive.

Take the MWC for example:

Adding Hawaii for football only made sense since Hawaii has prior football success and can give the MWC revenue. Hawaii's non-revenue sports were not invited mainly because of the added costs associated with travel for non-revenue sports in Hawaii that don't cut the mustard.

In terms of possibilities for the future for the MWC

Adding Utah State or BYU for non-football purposes would be logical since they can give the conference much needed revenue via NCAA basketball tournament participation revenue. They also offset our current problem regarding Hawaii as a fball only mbr and the uneven teams in the respective sports.

There are no legit football teams available to add since I don't know if Houston, SMU, or UTEP can step up and provide revenue. Add more teams to the pie only makes sense if they can offset the cutting of the pie dilemma that much more. If one or multiple teams from CUSA can run the table perhaps the MWC can try and get teams from there otherwise IMHO the MWC should explore the Utah St or BYU options for non-revenue only

Right now I see it as this for the MWC:

West Division

UNLV

Nevada

SDSU

Fresno St

Hawaii(football only)----UtahSt/BYU(basketball only)

Boise State

Mountain Division

New Mexico

Air Force

Wyoming

Colorado State

UTEP

Houston

If somehow BYU gets bored or fails with their Independent bid perhaps we can include BYU at the expense of someone. I am sure BYU basketball would love to return to the MWC. Getting BYU Football might require the MWC to get the exemption for BCS status however.

NEW LOBO ORDER

spannaballernp1.gif

WE ARE NEW MEXICO

If the MWC don't obtain AQ status in a couple years, count on Hawaii going the BYU route into independence. Don't count on Hawaii in future years in the MWC. You heard it hear first.

Hmm, then why not go Indy now?

They already did the study and said no, that is what drove them to the MWC to ask for inclusion.

Seems to be a fairy tale in the making here.

If the MWC don't obtain AQ status in a couple years, count on Hawaii going the BYU route into independence. Don't count on Hawaii in future years in the MWC. You heard it hear first.

I'll mark it up there with quotes from Neville "Peace For Our Time" Chamberlain, Nikita "We Will Bury You" Kruschev, George "Read My Lips" Bush, and John "Democracy Will Be Dead By 1950" Langdon-Davies.

Let me know if you'd like to place a small wager, I'll open it at 10,000 to 1 against...

In answer to the topical question- No.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

We are here to stay. You heard it here first!

;)

Go Warriors! Go Bows! Go Wahine! GO HAWAI'I!!

aloha-stadium.jpg

This is Mountain West Country

ALOHA!

Follow me on Twitter! @UHawkFan12

Hmm, then why not go Indy now?

They already did the study and said no, that is what drove them to the MWC to ask for inclusion.

Seems to be a fairy tale in the making here.

While I hate to bring it up, I think the main reason for not doing it now is BYU. They look at BYU experimenting at independence and figure they can see how things turn out for BYU; especially since scheduling is one of the main issues. If BYU can make independence work, particularly being able to consistently put together a good schedule, then I think Hawaii might consider independence (but, as Warbow points out, only if the MWC doesn't have permanent AQ). If BYU crashes and burns, then Hawaii knows they never had a chance at making independence work.

What the MWC needs is 3 strong teams that are in the Top 25 every year. The next three teams flirt with a ranking and finish over .500. The key is the bottom 4 teams finish no lower than in the 80's rankings. No more teams in the 90's and 100's

These team rankings will change from year to year as teams go through cycles. But we need this kind of strength from top to bottom.

Isn't Dallas Baptist indy in baseball?

Would make a lot of sense to woo a program like that, esp with TCU leaving and BYU/Utah also taking their bball programs.

They are. They won TCU's regional this year too. :angry:

Any Cali baseball schools that could be added? Not that I think it'll happen, but I know the current <WC lineup is hurting for baseball teams.

2005, 2009, 2010 & 2011 MWC Football Champions

Adding a non-football school ONLY makes sense if that school can make the conference revenue via the non-revenue sports. Obviously the WAC has decided to add Seattle, Denver, and UT-Arlington out of desperation since those schools not only don't support football but have no non-revenue success to speak of either than can provide much needed revenue for the conference

Football drives the gravy train. But the football team has to be appealing also. Let's see if Houston or UTEP can step up their game in CUSA to be attractive.

Take the MWC for example:

Adding Hawaii for football only made sense since Hawaii has prior football success and can give the MWC revenue. Hawaii's non-revenue sports were not invited mainly because of the added costs associated with travel for non-revenue sports in Hawaii that don't cut the mustard.

In terms of possibilities for the future for the MWC

Adding Utah State or BYU for non-football purposes would be logical since they can give the conference much needed revenue via NCAA basketball tournament participation revenue. They also offset our current problem regarding Hawaii as a fball only mbr and the uneven teams in the respective sports.

There are no legit football teams available to add since I don't know if Houston, SMU, or UTEP can step up and provide revenue. Add more teams to the pie only makes sense if they can offset the cutting of the pie dilemma that much more. If one or multiple teams from CUSA can run the table perhaps the MWC can try and get teams from there otherwise IMHO the MWC should explore the Utah St or BYU options for non-revenue only

Right now I see it as this for the MWC:

West Division

UNLV

Nevada

SDSU

Fresno St

Hawaii(football only)----UtahSt/BYU(basketball only)

Boise State

Mountain Division

New Mexico

Air Force

Wyoming

Colorado State

UTEP

Houston

If somehow BYU gets bored or fails with their Independent bid perhaps we can include BYU at the expense of someone. I am sure BYU basketball would love to return to the MWC. Getting BYU Football might require the MWC to get the exemption for BCS status however.

No BYU under any circumstances, unless the entire Athletic Department begs the MWC for inclusion in ALL sports..........after what BYU pulled on the MWC why should the MWC enable or help BYU's cause?!?!

That wouldn't bother too many in the MWC, have at it! Hawaii as independent would have to pay big for home games and their road travel would be very costly.........not sure Hawaii carries the brand or the $$$/balls to go independent.

Why are you blaming Spanna on the Wyoming CoWBoYS?

My bad.

Those whose monikers are ambiguous have only themselves to blame when some of us misconstrue their school affiliation.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Why are you blaming Spanna on the Wyoming CoWBoYS?

JPCWBYS is a UNM fan who, based on his choice of handle on a message board inhabited by fans of a team called the "Cowboys", makes one begin to question the "cluefulness" of UNM fans in general.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes